Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Obama and Us, A Long Journey Together

I'm a worrier. I worry about my job, my family, my health, and my life. This morning I found myself worrying about Barack Obama's presidency. We're only two weeks into his administration and I am already worrying about his success or failure.

I celebrated Obama's victory with every fiber of my body and soul. I guess you could say I'm totally "in the tank" for him. I still follow each and every piece of news that comes out during the day. And, let's face facts, yesterday was not a good day. Or, let's be honest here - it sucked.

Due to a vetting process of his cabinet nominees that has seen its share of shortcomings, Obama's decision-making has been harshly criticized. Three nominees in particular, Tim Geithner (Treasury), Tom Daschle (HHS) and Nancy Killefer (Chief Performance Officer) had serious tax issues that got them all in hot water. This led to both Daschle and Killefer withdrawing their nominations.

Because of these issues as well as the struggle to move forward a leaner meaner stimulus package, Obama has dropped in the polls of public opinion by seventeen points. The press has begun to question his leadership. Headlines such as "Has Obama Lost His Luster?" have become commonplace.

Added to this image problem, Obama has appeared to suffer a loss of power due to the disrespect shown him by the entire House Republican caucus, and Senate
Republican leadership.

So, I sit at home and worry. Will he fail? Is it time for power politics? Should Obama begin to exert old fashioned partisanship? What's going to happen with his legacy?

Legacy?! I need to grab myself by the collar and pull back firmly but gently. Hey, it's too early for all the worrying.

Yesterday was just that, yesterday. Today is another day, and in the world of politics things change quickly.

Be patient. Remember New Hampshire. Remember Jeremiah Wright. Remember the primary. Obama is tougher than he appears. He has gone through the political crucible. He has been tested. A sixty-six percent approval rating is nothing to worry about.

"Will he fail?" is not the right question. President Obama is already a success. Has he only been in office for two weeks? It's seems much longer because he has already achieved so much.

Yet, there is still so much left to do.

Breathe deep. Relax. Be patient. This journey is more like hiking the Appalachian Trail than walking around the block. There will be all kinds of experiences, negative and positive, as we continue on this journey.

So, the worrying must stop. One election night, in Grant Park, Barack Obama already held up a marvelous vision for us:

"This election has not been about me. It's been about you, the American people...The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even one term, but, America - I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there...And, above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation the only way it's been done in America for two-hundred and twenty-one years - block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand."

Yes, I need to stop worrying. America will succeed because we will join with President Obama in overcoming the challenges ahead of us. It's not a short trip, but rather a long journey we must travel together. Once we reach our destination, he, no, we will then be a great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Click in the box to begin.