Saturday, December 27, 2008

Welcome to Reflecting Obama

I hope that this blog will serve as a place where all things Barack Obama can be shared. Since I became an Obama supporter a couple years ago, I have found that people are intrigued not only by his politics, but also by his life. Over the coming days, weeks, and months, I will discuss various and sundry areas of Obama’s life – past, present and future.


This is meant to be more than a simple biographical blog about Obama. I will also discuss his politics and policies, decisions and indecisions, high points and low points leading up to and beyond the January 20th inauguration.


I’d also like to spend some time looking at areas that appear to be fairly tangential to our understanding of Obama. For example, he has interesting and sometimes controversial opinions and habits regarding food, technology, and appearance.


I would like to talk about topics that may seem contentious: religion (What is his form of Christianity? What role might Rick Warren play in the White House, beyond the inauguration?), race (Did race have any impact on the election?), family (How is his marriage a model for others?, or what is that Quaker school where they’re to send their daughters all about?), character (How does he interact with those around him?), and sports (Obama’s for a playoff system to determine the top-level college football champion. How might such a system be implemented?)


Each day, I plan to dive into another Obama topic. Let me know if there’s something specific you’d like me to touch on!


The title of this blog

Why is this blog called “Reflecting Obama”? Let’s face it, for the past year Barack Obama has made an amazing impact on our country. Not only did he come from virtually nowhere to defeat Hillary Clinton and John McCain, but he also redefined the political tone and message of presidential campaigns. In fact, I would go as far as to say that he also affected us in our understanding of age, race, and even names. Obama helped continue the process of breaking down stereotypes and walls of misunderstanding. Through his presence, voice, and personality, he opened a new reality of American diversity, one that we have always claimed as part of our identity.


I have chosen the phrase “Reflecting Obama” to mirror back to you, the reader, what one citizen – me – sees in this unique leader. Sometimes, it takes someone else than ourselves to help us observe from a different angle in order to clarify our understanding of an issue or a person. My role will be to “reflect” back to you what I see going on with our new president. Your job, will be to “reflect” back to me what your observations are concerning the topic and article at hand.


I hope that we can have a civil conversation. I know that we will not always agree – that is for sure. But, let us share our views in a respectful manner.


Be Well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(If you wish to comment, please click the tiny word "comments" just below here and a comment box will appear.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Click in the box to begin.